Monday, 5 May 2014


We are back in the UK.
30th April...Arrived at Manchester from Abu Dhabi on Wednesday night. A long time through immigration. While they spent their time sorting out one couple the rest of us waited. We had expected to go through the EU line with Diana's Irish passport but no she had to come through "the others" line with me. Met Uncle John, the uncle of the previous owners. What a delightful 85 year old gentleman who was looking after us while we get sorted.
1st May...Thursday was Stockport to sort out sim cards for phones. Picked up a rental car then off to the boat with Uncle John. Molly Rose was in good condition considering she had been feeling unloved for the last 8 months. It was great to have John with us as he has spent many trips on her and knew how Barry & Kath did things.
Diana & Uncle John

2nd May...Friday. I have had a very bad throat and now with a bit of jet lag didn't get under way till late in the morning. Drove to New Mills to see the bank about a debit card. Very helpful but the banking system is "Very British" and after three attempts and over an hour I hope they will have a card for me next week. Off to the boat with Nick from T W Marine, who has serviced the boat most of its life, took me over all the things I should know. Barry & Kath had given us a very good rundown when we saw them in February but nothing like seeing what you are talking about. Diana has been bringing back to life the interior and I raised the N Z flag to complete the Ownership change. We finished the day on the boat with a cuppa, a bit of reminiscing about our time on Llanarrow in 2010 and looking forward to the next 5 months.
The Kiwi flag is flying
3rd May...Saturday we packed up from Uncle John's and arrived at the boat to settle in. As we needed a duvet we went to the Town of Buxton 10 miles away. A couple we meet at lunch in New Mills on Friday told us it was a Spar town as good as Bath, which we love. They were right and Diana has a heap of photos to prove it. Back to Molly Rose for our second meal on her. The first had been as guests of Barry & Kath 4 years ago. Followed by a great nights sleep.

Railway Hotel & bridge, Buxton.
4th May.... Sunday a day of more sorting out our things and continuing to find out more about the boat and how it all works. Back to Buxton to buy more stuff to make life easier.
5th May.. Diana has been cleaning windows and I have been polishing the exterior, still a bit to go. We return the car tomorrow so a big shop at Tescos and then we cooked dinner for Uncle John as it will be our last chance to spend an evening with him until we return in September.


  1. Seems all is going very well. Brings back memories of the trip we did together alright.

  2. Looking good.
    when do you start your travel?